Thursday, June 13, 2013

Checking Calibration before You Begin....

All scales must be checked for calibration before going on test - even brand new scales - and then once a year after that. Where in the heck are you gonna get that done right? How far do you have to go? What do you need to get after that? Okay - this sounds REALLY hard right? Not so, it can be VERY easy.....but the simple fact is no matter what, if you are on milk test, your scale will need to be calibrated once a year. THEN proof of that will have to be on file with your DRPC.....it's pretty simple I tell you.

ALLEGEDLY some post offices will do this for you. I called the nearest 4 within an hour or so from me - they all thought I was a loon.  BUT...if you can find somewhere to do it for you, they will need to write you a note saying who they are, what company they are with, what kind of scales you have, what poundage they checked it at, the date they checked it, and your name. Pretty simple.

Now, what if you can't find somewhere? NO FEAR - at least for my herd, since we are using Langston University, THEY will do this for me! BEAUTIFUL! They check the calibration on my scale, and handle the records for it.

Now...what does this cost? $15 - THAT IS IT! Well...you have to ship it to them...that cost me like $12 for priority shipping with the post office (plus insurance...because it is a brand new scale after all right?).  But, that's not bad - for less then $30 my scale is checked for calibration and the post office picked it up from the door for shipping so I didn't even have to put on shoes LOL! The best part is my DRPC is handling it so I KNOW I will have the right paperwork in place with them :)

You want to send it to: Langston University, ATTN: EVA, PO BOX 730, Langston, OK, 73050 Don't forget your $15 check or money order! That pays for it to be shipped back to you insured!

So...now we wait...my scale was sent today to be checked for it's calibration, my supervisors have all submitted their tests, my application has been mailed off to ADGA, my dipper came :)
Isn't that the biggest joke as far as packaging goes??? ALL that for one TINY little dipper! HA! Cracked me up! Also, my "sample kit" has arrived:
I have enough vials for 20 goats....this should last me a while haha! Look inside, I find this part super fascinating:
See that teeny tiny little pill?  THAT is the magic pill that keeps the milk from spoiling for about 7 days - REALLY tiny! I was expecting something the size of a Tylenol at least in there, but nope, just that itty bitty little red dot...that's the magic that allows milk to be shipped!

So...now we REALLY wait to "go on test"...I'm excited, just have to get the last of everything finalized and we are all set for our first test day!



No comments:

Post a Comment