Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Choosing a test plan....

ADGA has SO MANY test plans it accepts for milk test! AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! It's hard to pick one! Actually, if you call or email them, they will send you a "DHIR Packet" with a lot of this info in there - they have it online as well, and in your handbook you get each year (if you are a member).  I like to have everything they deem necessary in one place, and thus I had the packet sent to me...I can review it all at one glance, highlight stuff, take it in one sheet at a time. VERY nice to have it in one place!

At first, I was going to go "owner sampler" as that sounded pretty basic and simple...THEN I started looking into what I could achieve with my herd...and I THINK I am going to go with their "DHIR 20 Standard" test plan....

On that plan you can (if you are so blessed and have the right does) earn top ten status.  On the owner sampler plans you cannot...now while at this time I have no top ten does (I can tell by weights alone I think) I do have some does who can earn their stars. BUT you never know! In the future I may have a top ten producer...and I want her to be recognized for it if we get that far! I want to stick with one thing, learn it, and learn it well....so I might as well go with the one I will be on as long as possible right? Since the owner sampler plan does not offer top ten status...well...I am going to go with the one that does. I can always change it in the future, but for now it is what finally makes the most sense and seems easiest - DHIR 20 Standard. That's me :)

Also...you need a scale that weighs in TENTHS of pounds! I choose the Pelouze 7800 from webstaurantstore.com - they had a decent price (the best I found) and the scale itself was recommended by Eva at Langston University. It was about $45 after shipping - not bad to have a nice scale for my milking :) you THEN have to get your scale "calibrated" - sounds hard right? Where in the heck do you go for all that?  Well, easy peasy, you can send it off to Langston University (if you are using them as your DRPC) and they will do it for $15 (which pays to get it sent back to you).  NOT BAD! Saves me time, money, and gas from driving around all over the world to get it calibrated PLUS they keep the certificate on file that it was done and it is all in one spot - VERY nice!

THEN...you need the right dipper....Hoegger Supply has the right DHIA sample ladle.  For about $15 after shipping (all I got was the dipper - if I had spent $200 shipping was free...but I didn't need that much stuff lol, just the ladle)....anyways pretty cheaply you can get an approved sample ladle to get your milk samples into their little vials...NOT BAD!

I suggest if you are thinking about going on milk test to research the options, CALL WITH YOUR QUESTIONS! EVERYONE is SUPER nice and walks you through it and answers even the most odd, random questions very well! Then, pick a plan to be on, and get your equipment in line....after this we will be tackling the paperwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment