Thursday, June 13, 2013

Egg Production...we have arrived!

Oh yes...I'm gonna have to get pictures! I am proud of my girls! We are FINALLY up to TWO eggs a day! Now...that's kinda what I was planning on with 3 hens anyways, but I was excited. Every day for the last 5 days I have gotten 2 eggs - before that for a week I was getting one egg a day.

After months of a "dry spell" having to get eggs from other friends with hens, we are FINALLY able to make breakfast without leaving the farm! It's a NICE feeling to have eggs again!

If you have never had chickens...you just don't know what you are missing. No, seriously, they bring a certain joy to my day that no other bird can! They move about pecking and scratching, take off as a single unit to chase a bug, and the EGGS! Oh how we love our eggs here! It's so nice to have eggs again I said!

Just had to share...took less than a month and we are now at the "2 egg a day" mark...hmmm....wonder when I will get a 3 egg day????

Plus...look at this!

Notice the HUGE dent in the side of their hoop? Oh yes folks...the oak tree dropped a giant limb on them and tried to squish them last week! Like a scene out of The Wizard of Oz....the coop and hens were like the witch...the limb like the house....

It was bigger than it looks there - clearly, because it squashed in the side of their hoop! But you know what, even if the stuff I build is less than square and true, even if it is a little crooked and not perfect, that stuff is STURDY! It stood up to a limb that had to have weighed 200lbs of better! Just guessing, I would honestly say closer to 300 or 400 pounds worth of oak came crashing down and STILL my little hoop was standing and EVERY hen was fine! Oh yes...call me Bob the Builder...my stuff is strong even if it is ugly sometimes!

So, we have eggs again for real now AND the strongest little hoop coop ever! I tell you, I am blessed by living on a small farm every day when I get up!

No comments:

Post a Comment