Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Filling out the ADGA Application for milk testing...

Okay, fresh off the phone with Penny at ADGA, I figured I would share this info with anyone who stumbles across it :P  When you go to fill out your application for Official DHIR Testing, you may have some questions...I did....so here are the answers I have so far...walk through the app with me....

Name of Herd Owner - pretty basic, that's you (remember to put it on there just like it is with ADGA....)
Mailing Address and Date...duh right? Pretty easy....
Date of First Expected Test - here's where you can kind of guess a little.  Depending on when your does freshen, or in my case if they already have freshened, you can just put in the month you hope to begin.  It is now June, I REALLY want to get our first test in before July, but just in case I put "July"...if I test close to that the first time we will still be okay, no worries :) Just remember it doesn't have to be an exact date!
There is a box below that where you pick the type of test and which test you are going on....for me, it is Standard and DHIR 20- Standard  that I have checked off.  Pick the one that fits your herd and situation best...but keep in mind from here on out I will be referring to the test plan I am on, as that will be the one I am familiar with over time :)

Tester - When you get here, if you are on test for the first time, it can be confusing.  What if you don't have your testers' ID# yet? NO WORRIES! Just put "Pending" - as long as you have their name and phone number in there, it will be okay!  Remember, this is your second, nonrelated, not you test supervisor they want info on! Now...for the type of test I am goiug on, I will require a verification test by ANOTHER tester...I called, I asked, should I put the second tester on there? The answer to that is NO...just the one who will be coming regularly to do your testing! That's all you need there!
Name of DHIA - Depending on where you are in the nation, I suppose other states will use other labs...there is a list from ADGA on their website, which will also be printed out and come in your DHIR packet (when you ask them to send you one) that has all of them on there.  This is there FAQ Page for DHIR testing.....this is the list of Regional Affiliates where you will be sending your milk samples and barn sheets each month.  For me, I have gone with Langston University...can't tell you about any of the others as I lack experience with them...but I can and will say again Eva at Langston is AWESOME! Point Being...I just wrote Langston University in that box :)
DRPC:  that is the Dairy Records Processing Center (remember that?) For me, once again, I can check off Langston....and also once again I am not sure what other regions/areas use...but here in Texas, that's what I am doing :)
Members of Testing Group - this is only if you are on group test, if you are on standard test, just leave it blank....

Next, the $$$....check off the right box for how many does will be on test (doe kids still on bottles, bucks, wethers, they don't count....just the does in milk or coming into milk for the year and going on test). So, stop, count your does, and fork it over lol :)  NOW....I had read on one of the sheets in the packet there was an additional fee for new herds...I called, and I was told NO there is not! So...perhaps the literature in the packet is a bit outdated, perhaps not and I got the wrong answer...BUT...feel free to double check with ADGA before you write the check :) I did, took about 30 seconds, and I felt better having the correct amount for sure! Don't forget your payment info if using a card!

Okay....DHI Herd Code # - for new herds, like me, just write in "Pending"...that will come shortly for you - pending is perfect for now :)

Don't forget to sign and put your ADGA member # on there at the bottom!

Okay...now...if you print it off online, it's another sheet...but if you get the packet, on the back, it wants a list of your does....Being an ADGA member, and doing things online has it's advantages here! Instead of dragging out my binder of registration papers...all I had to do was log on to my ADGA account, pull my "Currently Owned List", print it off and staple it on! SUPER EASY PEASY! If you want to go "old school" and write everything in by hand, that's okay too :)

Now....while you are waiting on your scale to come back from being calibrated, and waiting on your supervisor tests to be verified...go stick that sucker in an envelope with a stamp and ship it out to ADGA! Don't forget to always make and keep a copy of everything, along with notes on when it was mailed so you can track stuff and refer back to it...JUST IN CASE! I actually keep everything important in sheet protectors, in a 3 ring binder - each goats registration papers, my CAE test results, all that is in one nice binder for reference. I have a tab for "Tests/Vet", Bucks, Does, and now DHIR :) I keep sold goat papers in a separate binder too....no really...I have a thing about this paper work :P But, like I mentioned, start keeping up with it so if you ever need it, you have it at hand! Shame to do all this work and loose a sheet or 2 and not get credit if you can't reproduce them right?

Okay....go fill out and send off your ADGA application and start waiting with me :) I have a few things I need to get back and THEN we go "on test"!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment