Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Spiders - my frenemies...

It seems that on a farm or living "out in the country" one is bound to have more issues with pests and bugs than the average "city slicker".  Or maybe it's just me, who knows for sure.  But I will say this much, since moving to the country we absolutely have more spiders than ever before! I know part of this is the fly factor - farm animals make poo, poo is breeding grounds for flies, and flies are a fine feast for any spider! Even with all the good they do by eating flies, I think I am over trying to protect the spiders....

I have spent the better part of my afternoon sweeping up their icky sticky webs and evicting a few and even squashing particularly unlucky fellow who happened to be as big around as a nickle or bigger and crawling my way! I HATE spiders!  I LOATHE them!  I don't run away in fear, I grab a shoe or a broom or some spray and dispense with them! Thank goodness they don't leave me terrified and shaking while I search for someone else to handle it...because if that were the case I think I'd need to move!

For real, I am pretty sure our home was the place where they filmed that move "Arachnophobia"...not positive..just pretty sure about it.  We have a spider for every corner, nook, and cranny of this house and outside too!

The picture is in the living room...that IS as big as it looks, I PROMISE it is!  That one's lucky...being 12 feet up he MAY survive the massacre! 


Now, I know everyone says they naturally control the population of many other things - flies, mosquitoes, what have you...I dunno...I may have to go on a killing spree pretty soon population control be damned!  I just can't handle all the ucky webs when I'm trying to clean...or stuff as big as my thumb jumping out at me.  I hate to be the one to break the news, but the spiders don't pay the rent and therefor are NOT allowed to act like they own the place.  I feel as though a mass murder may be coming on....even for all the good they do, I just cannot share my humble abode with them any longer.

So I say to the organic type, those who don't mind a few spiders this:  "Come on down with a jar, poke some holes in the lid, and take home as many spiders as you please!" But do it before I find the bug spray...because at least a few of them have got to go!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for commenting on my blog. I like yours as well. Hope your painting went better than mine did and you have the spiders under control!

    ReplyDelete