Saturday, March 2, 2013

The FarmHouse Kitchen Take Over...I mean "make over"...

The kitchen is nearly done and I am officially at that point where I want to walk away and never go back...I keep making myself drag back in there and tackle ONE LAST THING...but it's beyond old now.  It has been well into 2 weeks since I really started this project, with a good 7 - 8 days of all day hard work and I am just ready to be done.

I will say this - if you have a farm and intend to take on ANY sort of home improvement project be ready to be worn out!  Non-farming types don't quite realize this, but my day starts with work and ends with work already.  This severely cuts down on the amount of time I can actually apply to other projects each day! So things like painting a bathroom that would take anyone else on the plant all of an afternoon to do take me a full 2 days.  I don't get up, have a cup of coffee and then get' er done with my little home improvement job...I get up...have a POT of coffee, feed, milk, prep and water my fodder stop for lunch and THEN I can go to work on my other projects!  HECK - I didn't realize I was going to need so much time to work on this!

Here are the before photos - notice it is cluttered, dingy, the peel and stick tiles are slowly unpeeling themselves in places, and the spider webs...oh yes, did I mention, I think they filmed arachnophobia here... who ever invented peel and stick tiles need to be drug out and shot....anyways...total lack of storage, but much potential right?

And yes, lucky me, the recipient of not one but TWO different kinds of peel and stick tile! I'm guessing they ran out when they built the place...not really sure....

I had already finished the cabinets last winter, so I started this time by finishing the doors...yes, FINISH not REfinish...they never put a lick of varnish or paint on any wood when they built this place...maybe because it was on a slow boat somewhere with the other matching half of vinyl tiles?  I dunno...but I started there...

Oh ceiling of doom...so far away from the ground...how I dread painting thee....


Can you say cluttered much?  There's just not much cabinet space to work with...so I have become very clever in stacking things like the Tower of Pisa.  Very rarely did anything fall.....but not never...so this must be remedied! I have rearranged things, added some storage pieces, and cleaned out a very hefty bit of clutter and trash and junk that had built up somehow. That helped enormously!

Anyways, it looks nothing like this today - these are just the before pics...it may actually be worse at the moment in it's semi-finished state. Hopefully tomorrow or the next day I will have after pics to post with a smile...a very tired smile....

I guess I should head back in to battle once again.  I am really looking forward to being able to hold soap classes soon and to actually get to make a batch of soap no less! Plus I have all sorts of supplies on their way for lotions and sugar scrubs and several very exciting new recipes to try. On that, away I go :)





No comments:

Post a Comment