Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Midnight MilkMaid....

I admit it, I am NOT a morning person!  I function best like a vampire, after dark :P  I think part of the problem is that I spent so many years working nights and crazy hours and the other part of it is that I was born and raised two whole time zones away.  My body never adjusted to central time, I am perpetually on Pacific time.  Luckily though, my goats don't hold it against me!

Other farmers rise with the sun, get a move on their day, and are ready for bed about the time that I am getting productive with myself for the day.  It always makes me laugh a little bit when I have something for sale and people call me at oh...8 or 9 in the morning...because I am half awake searching for the phone! I always try to play it off all cool, but usually I haven't even brushed my teeth yet, let alone fed anything or milked.  I guess it's an assumption people make that if you have a goat for sale, then you farm and if you farm you are up at the crack of dawn.  Well, it doesn't work that way here lol :)

I milk at noon and midnight and feed the other critters just slightly ahead of that.  I get out of bed if I am lucky at 9 or ten and I go to bed usually between midnight and 2a.m. What can I say, I am the Midnight MilkMaid! Sadly though, when summer gets here that may change just a bit...I'll at least try to get up earlier to get everything fed before it gets hot for the day.

I sometimes wonder who else is out there milking at crazy hours, dashing through the dark to feed the horses before the rustling in the brush nearby jumps out to get them...and I think I SHOULD change my ways, but I know I never really will. No really - when I hear things moving in the dark, and the coyotes closer than they usually are, and I see the horses even looking towards those sounds, it makes me boogey to be done just a little faster than I usually do and in those moments I WISH I could reset my internal clock to Texas time.  But I just can't do it!

To any other Midnight MilkMaids out there, know you are not alone :)  There is one more crazy lady out there at midnight milking her goats and checking on things one last time before she crashes for the night, moving in a hurry before something jumps out to eat her alive :) Now I best be off to go milk...

No comments:

Post a Comment