Wednesday, April 10, 2013

3 Tires and One Lucky Possum!

So, last night I made 2 batches of soap...got the first one done and put it to bed in the freezer (it's a soap thing) and as I was making the 2nd batch I got to wondering:  Hmmm...Mr Farmhand said he bought TWO tires last week...we bought ONE before that....Now I should see THREE new tires but I can only account for TWO!  Wait a minute...Well, I was already making soap and couldn't wander off from it, so I figured I would go walk the truck when I went out to put this loaf of soap to bed in the freezer as well...

So...I finish my soap and back out to the freezer I go.  I stick it in there, and as I come walking out headed for the truck what to my wondering eyes does appear????  A TINY BABY POSSUM!  And not alone - oh no - there are four, yes FOUR, of my barn cats surrounding it!  Now, had he been "playing possum" or at least dead looking, I would have left the cats to it.  But this little fella - who seriously fits in the palm of my hand - was FIGHTING to live!  Okay, I'm mean, I'm hard core, I'm brutal about the facts of life and such.  But when I see such a tiny thing holding off four cats which are WAY bigger than it is, well...I get all soft.  Peter the Possum was fighting to live so I intervened!

I scooped him up by his tail, paused for a moment because I had JUST FOUND the third tire! Then I imprisoned him in a bucket, safe away from the cats, while I looked around. Nope, no mama possum to be seen...not nearby at least.  What to do eh?

Well, I called the neighbor who knew what to do and walked him down there to her...Lucky little fella made it through the night and is on his way to doing well, drinking goat milk and sleeping in a mitten!  He will be turned over to the proper rescue type people from what I understand...I know, possums are technically a nuisance of sorts.  But he wanted to live, so he was saved!

And that missing tire - Mr Farmhand had it put on the spare and it is under the truck!  Seems he is forcing my hand into buying two more brand new ones...but seriously, the new tires are LONG over due!  Now to have a day to get outta this house and run some real errands further than Trinity!  What a lucky Possum though!

No comments:

Post a Comment