Friday, April 5, 2013

Financial challenges...so to speak...

Part of the problem with living way out in the boonies is the distance to everything - and when I say everything I mean E V E R Y T H I N G!!!!!  It's almost 20 miles, ONE WAY, to the nearest gas station for the crying out loud!!!  (So, if you ever come to visit, be sure you have enough gas to get back to town at least!)

Yes, I know, I choose this right?  And, in general, I like it this way.  I am a bit of a hermit deep down inside...no, seriously.  I like to be left alone just as much as I enjoy the company of others.  Living way out far means, for the most part, I am left alone and I am free to seek out other humans when I wish to.  It also means some days, sometimes, I am stuck doing a TON of driving!

So, how does this relate to financial challenges?  Well, let me tell you...With my husband - who we shall call "Mr. Farmhand" from now - with his job (which pays the real bills by the way) we have been trying SINCE AUGUST to get direct deposit in place!  Considering the nearest bank is just as far as the nearest gas station, and also considering that they mail his checks out every 2 weeks (thus sending me running to the post office box), it seemed logical right???  However, working for a LARGE, FAMOUS, WELL KNOWN company has somehow made them INCOMPETENT and INCAPABLE of getting said direct deposit in place with our current banking set up....and thus leading to many a wasted Friday driving around to collect the money and such...LOTS of hours and gas spent on this...

Well, not even ten days ago now, Mr Farmhand went into the credit union - the one his company sponsors/endorses/HAS ON SITE at his job (which is out in Houston by the way - Mr Farmhand drives a lot for work!) and he opened an account with them and set up the direct deposit and was told "Oh, don't worry, it won't kick in until a payday after your debit card arrives"....Cool beans.  That meant one more pay day driving around, BUT hopefully they would finally get the direct deposit set up for us!  YAY!  Money to spend at my finger tips instead of driving right?  Every house wife's dream!  Um, yeah, not so much...

SO, this morning, for kicks and giggles as it were, I double checked the new bank account.  Guess what - no really, bet you already know, but guess........YES!  Direct deposit hit the bank and NO CARD IS IN MY HAND TO SPEND THAT MONEY WITH!!!!!  Oh, and guess what else???  Mr Farmhand STAYED HOME TODAY because he is sick!!!!  Now, I want you to think on this one for a minute....why am I ranty and raving this morning?  Because:

  1. It seems like a bit of a monopoly and a touch of a forced hand of sorts that they never could get it right with our bank, but got it perfect with their own...hmmm....I need to look VERY closely at that fee schedule again.  Can you say "I owe my soul to the company store?"  Oh yeah, feels just like that old song...
  2. We don't have a debit card yet and don't carry checks (which more than likely wouldn't be here anyways yet either) so without going down and withdrawing the funds in person how are we to spend this money???
  3. MR FARMHAND IS AT HOME!!!  80 miles away FROM THE NEAREST BANK BRANCH!!!!  So, if we want any money for the weekend AND the card has not arrived by like 1p.m. in the mail, MR FARMHAND is stuck trooping ALL THE WAY TO HOUSTON ANYWAYS today!!
  4. Oh yeah, did I mention the nearest bank branch is located ON COMPANY PROPERTY???  You need to be an employee with a security card to get in the gates and to the bank!  All of my end of things had to be handled with photocopies and over the phone - which I find 100% completely ridiculous!  ANYONE could have taken a copy of my stuff down there - but I was ready for a little convenience!!  What a sucker I was right???  There's NOTHING convenient about a bank I can't get to!!!
So yes, today, I am financially frustrated!  I have money I can't spend, bills I need to pay, and I feel like I have to mount a major expedition to go get it and save it from these crazy people!  UGH!!!!

Sometimes, the price of living where you love is the loss of convenience huh?  Oh well...I'm gonna go out, saddle up, and ride for a while.  Then I'll roll Mr Farmhand out of his sick bed and off to the city...gotta do what you gotta do right?


No comments:

Post a Comment