Wednesday, May 15, 2013

CIDRs and more rain :(

Yup - more rain.  Seems to be we missed all the "April showers" but they showed up in time for May.  Can't REALLY complain because rain = hay growing = good news around here right?  Still...I'm not real excited about another soggy wet day...especially since I have CIDRs to get in place with 5 goats today! (ALL DONE NOW :)  Started this before I headed out...anyways....)

CIDRs?  What's that?  Well, it's a Controlled Internal Drug Release of the hormone progesterone.  Tricks the goats into coming into estrus, or heat, once it is removed.  Like a tampon of sorts for goats, you can guess where they gotta go - oh yeah, I will be spending my morning at the back end of the girls...some I will be milking and SOME will be getting their CIDR...woo fun huh? (Really wasn't that bad and went pretty fast...except Willow...kicky thing that one...)

In 21 days, the five to be bred will get a shot of PG600, another hormone, to trick them into ovulating.  See, not ALL goats come into estrus all year, and mine fall into that category for the most part...the CIDR helps to prep the body, the PG600 tells the ovaries NOW with the eggs ya'll! And then the buck is introduced to do his thing.  I SHOULD God willing have kids born right at the first of November - a little earlier than last year - but thereby avoiding Christmas (which is a very busy and slightly colder month).

So...off to prep and then out I go...not the most exciting job, but a pretty exciting day when you realize I should be getting babies again in less than 6 months :)

NOTE:  I am done and it wasn't all that bad haha!  One extra kicky goat, but she always is with this kind of stuff...now we wait 3 weeks and then play the cheesy 70's adult film music because my bucks have a date with my does!

No comments:

Post a Comment