Thursday, May 23, 2013

The BUGS have arrived!

Seriously, if there is ONE THING (besides the humidity) that I could do without here in the south it is the BUGS!!!! NO - REALLY - you have NO idea! I can count on my fingers the number of mosquito bites I had all the years growing up in California. Heck, there, they don't even stress heart worm prevention in dogs like we do here because there ARE no bugs really! Okay, there are bugs in California...just not like we have in Texas!

Fireants in California are RED - BRIGHT RED - and LARGE!  I had never had a small black ant bite me until I met the "sugar ants" aka "piss ants" and whatever else people call them here!

Roaches - yes, the mighty survive an atom bomb cockroach - are small in size AND number back home...here the dang things are GIANT AND fly at your head AND BITE!

Mosquitoes - oh lordy me oh my for the freakin' mosquitoes!  For real, you BARELY find them back home - not like they are here at all!  I can watch them landing on the goats udders as I milk in the evenings, see them filling up with juicy goat blood, and my goats are now so accustomed to being smacked they don't even fidget!  I will smack a bug with one hand and milk with the other now....getting pretty good at it!

AND STINGING THINGS OF ALL KINDS!  For real, I could easily do without the wasps, yellow jackets, and hornets - you have NO idea! Last week James was stung on the hand scooting the "baby pig tractor" and the very next day what I am now sure was the same wasp got me on the leg! Thankfully I suppose, it was a fairly benign black one...because we both walked away relatively unharmed except for a few hours of an uncomfortable burning....the nest in question was of course sprayed to oblivion hehehehe...

I SAW A TARANTULA today!  No really, pretty sure it was a tarantula....big as the palm of my hand and took off while I was looking for a hammer to whack it with - this sucker was so big I was NOT gonna step on it!  If it returns I will try to get a pic AND kill it!

Then there are the flies,. gnats, June bugs, beetles, and other things that buzz around my head, whizz past my face, and stick to the windows at night....BLEH!!!!  Sometime during this holiday weekend I am loading up Mr Farmer with a few cans of various sprays and sending him on a mission to kill! I am itching just thinking about the darn bugs! It's a war I will never win here, but a battle I am at least willing to fight!

No comments:

Post a Comment