Friday, May 24, 2013

Meet Breakfast....

Actually, she doesn't really have a name...I call her Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner - whatever suits me at the moment...

Don't be getting attached, I am not teasing when I use those names! She WILL be a meal (or several) once she is grown!  Currently she is a 20 lb piglet...soon enough she will be 10 times that large and ready to be sent to the processor and YES anything that big gets sent out! Let's be honest...I can only handle so much butchering at one time.  Small stuff is okay, but hogs and cattle get sent out because I SERIOUSLY don't have the patience for all that!  Tried, hated it, the end off she will go!

She is a blue butt and I forget what cross....who is VERY fond of tipping her dish over at meal times and sorting through her food.  I asked her why she does that crap - I got no answer, simply the satisfied grunts of a piglet in food heaven!  Oh well, it's her meal. If she prefers it with a side of dirt that's her problem.

I've been meaning to get a pic or 2 of her up - BUT - between Mr Farmer being stung by a wasp and then MYSELF being attacked by one...well...pics where NOT a priority until we killed the nest of the beasties! Right now she is on lock down in the baby box until she hits about 40lbs and then she will be moved to a piggy pasture of sorts...she's gotta get bigger though, otherwise she is hawk bait still.  Actually, Mr Farmer SWEARS he saw an eagle not too far away one day...that's what I worry about the most.  Her little temporary enclosure is eagle proof (knock on wood) with a roof/lid on it....which makes me feel better at least!

I'll keep ya posted from time to time on how shes doing, and in the final analysis, how she TASTES! I know - it sounds kinda harsh right?  But, truth is, pork comes from pigs that start JUST like that!  And she will actually live a pretty spoiled life of chow and goat milk and kitchen scraps as treats....MUCH better off than factory farm pork!  Just saying...she's one spoiled thing already even if she is destined for Camp Kenmore!

No comments:

Post a Comment