Saturday, May 4, 2013

Garden - Round 2

Let's be honest - very, very honest - I SUCK at gardening.  There's no way to phrase that delicately and still encompass how horrid I truly am at the whole concept.  I've bought and read books on the subject, joined and conversed on forums dedicated to it, heck you name it and I've tried it.  Anything that can help make me a better gardener I have tried.  Thus far, not much success has been mine.

Years ago, BG (before goats - heck BF 'before farm') I had a few happy little potted plants on my balcony.  Way back when, in the apartment living days, I could do decently by the potted plants.  Not great mind you, but decently.  Of course, back then, I didn't really have anything else to worry about.  Those plants got a LOT of attention that future gardening attempts did not get to see....

Then, we made the move to country life.  I put off gardening as I was preoccupied by things like poultry and goats.  FINALLY, the year I decided to do a REAL garden....THERE WAS A DROUGHT! Seriously?? For real??? Why yes, seriously.  Basically, between he wicked heat and lack of water from the sky and my own neglect I got like 3 little peppers and one sad tomato...yup...plus we ended up moving here that year. 

First year here I attempted a small - TINY - little winter garden of sorts.  I got enough turnip greens for ONE pot of greens...like a small 2 serving side dish worth.  But hey, that's the best I had ever done right? Never mind that my mother could grow the most amazing gardens when I was a kid, never mind that I spent many hours assisting in aforementioned gardens as a child, oh no...none of that green thumb passed my way it seems.  Anyways...what I was saying was...that first little starter garden went "so so eh okay" and I was encouraged...course life popped up, other things happened and FINALLY just this year I have gotten back into gardening right?

We won't discuss my sad little tomato and pepper starts...they are still starting as it were....I've been waiting on them to do SOMETHING amazing with themselves since, oh, FEBRUARY....Ok...then there were the greens and broccoli.  Oh yes, sad bit that, got run over, stepped on, run over some more, and finally the pig layed smack dab right in the middle of them and took a nap one afternoon...ok, well, once again I CAN at least grow greens.

So it was time to start the "spring/summer" garden - I moved it to a new location (one less likely to be driven over due to it's proximity to the septic tank).  And WEEKS ago we planted squash and pumpkin seeds.  Out of all that we planted THIS is what we have so far:



Now - don't ask me what is what - I was just taking pictures and forgot to mentally label squash versus pumpkin.  But I figure if I can keep these things a-going a while longer I may get a pan full of squash, a pumpkin pie and maybe some pumpkin left over for soap LOL...I'm proud of my little survivors here.  My husband refers to the garden as "The Graveyard" since it is where plants go to die....maybe this year I will finally prove him wrong...if I can remember to water it :(

No comments:

Post a Comment